The Department of Community Affairs has issued guidance regarding the construction industry’s concerns about the interruption of plan review and inspection responsibilities due to the COVID-19 public health crisis. The Borough of Dumont has instituted the following new policies and procedures for our Building Department:
- Local Enforcement Agents (LEA) will not enter any occupied building.
- CCO inspections will be conducted with an agent and no occupants. Permit close out (plumbing, electric, fire, building) necessary for CCO’s are subject to vacant house restrictions.
- The Dumont Building Department will prioritize inspections necessary for the health and welfare of the public. Should in-person inspections not be possible, LEAs will employ creative solutions, such as video conferencing via platforms like FaceTime or Skype, whenever feasible, to conduct inspections.
- All required inspections for new construction and any work on the exterior or outside of any occupied building shall be performed as usual.
- Destructive inspections may be performed only if there is reason to believe that a life-safety violation exists.
- If an LEA feels uncomfortable for any reason, they may exit the premise.
Dumont Borough Hall has limited access to the public. Please call the Dumont Building Department at 201-387-5034 for clarification on these procedures or to schedule an appointment. These rules are meant to preserve the health of inspectors, contractors, and the general public. Thank you for your cooperation during this unprecedented time. Stay safe and healthy.