Address: 80 W. Madison Avenue, Dumont, NJ 07628
Phone: 201-387-5032
Fax: 201-387-5061
Hours for Violations, Bail: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-4:30pm

Harry Stylianou, Judge
Glenda Hickey, Court Administrator
E. Carter Corriston, Municipal Prosecutor
Louis G. Deangelis, Public Defender

Licensed drivers who have a suspension date scheduled by MVC for matters that have already been transmitted by the Court system for failure to appear will receive an extension of that date, provided the defendant contacts MVC.  Please note that only drivers who contact MVC will be eligible for that extension of time.
**MVC inquiries should be directed to 609-292-7500 ext 5015.

2020 Court Sessions

Court sessions are held at the Tenafly Municipal Building, 100 Riveredge Road, Tenafly, NJ 07628

January 13th, 27th
February 10th, 24th
March 9th, 23rd
April 13th, 27th
May 11th
June 8th, 22nd
July 27th
August 10th, 24th
September 28th
October 26th
November 22nd
December 14th

Dumont Municipal Court Adjournment Process:

Pay Your Tickets Online:

You can pay your motor vehicle summons online at the New Jersey Municipal Courts Direct web site:

Judiciary Records Request Form:

Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule link:


Frequently Asked Questions

Is a court appearance required to resolve my summons?

If your offense is listed on the Statewide Violations Bureau schedule and the officer did NOT check the “Court Appearance Required: box, you may pay the fine without an appearance if you are pleading guilty

Offenses that DO require a court appearance are:

Statute                        Description
39:3-10                        Driving without a license

39:3-13.8 (A-F)             Provisional license/permit holder violations

39:3-29                        Failure to exhibit an insurance card

39:3-40                        Driving while suspended

39:4-66.2                     Avoiding traffic control signal/sign

39:4-77.1                     Failure to remove snow from vehicle

39:4-96                        Reckless driving

39:4-97.3                     Use of hand held device while driving

39:4-98                        Speeding (40 mph or more over limit)

39:4-129                      Leaving the scene of an accident

39:4-130                      Failure to report accident

39:6B-2                        No Insurance on vehicle

39:8-9C                        Fraudulent display of inspection sticker

When is payment due?

If you wish to plead guilty to a payable offense, payment is due by the court date listed on the front, lower portion of the summons.

What form of payment is accepted?

The Dumont Municipal Court accepts cash, checks/money orders and most credit/debit cards. Payment can be made at the court office Monday-Friday, 9:00am-4:30pm, by mail or via the internet at A check or money order, payable to the Dumont Municipal Court, should be mailed to 80 West Madison Avenue, Dumont, NJ 07628.

Can I change my court date?

Please refer to the Dumont Municipal Court adjournment policy ( insert PDF).  If you have further questions, please contact the municipal court at (201) 387-5032/33.

What if I wish to plead not guilty?

If you wish to plead not guilty, you must notify the court at least 7 days prior to the date listed on the front of the summons. You will be advised of the date and time you need to appear in court.

How do I apply for a public defender?

If you wish to apply for a public defender, you must complete a Financial Questionnaire to Establish Indigency. The judge will review the completed form, grant his approval if you are eligible and advise you of the fee amount. The maximum amount charged for a public defender is $200.

Where can I get legal advice if I am not eligible for a Public Defender?

You may contact the N.J. State Bar Association for Bergen County Referral Service, 15 Bergen St. Hackensack, NJ 07601, 201-488-0044,

What do I do if I do not have money to pay my fines on court night?

Full payment is expected on court night. If you do not have the money to pay all your fines you must complete the Financial Questionnaire to Establish Indigency-Municipal Court Form. The judge will review the form and determine whether or not you are eligible for a Time Payment Plan.

How do I get a copy of my driver's abstract?

You may contact the N.J. Dept. of Motor Vehicles at 609-292-7500 or go on line at:

How do I file an appeal?

The Municipal Court must receive your Notice of Municipal Court Appeal form within 20 days (including weekends and holidays) from the date you were found guilty.
There is a $100 filing fee plus a transcript fee, which you must pay in advance. Both of these fees are non-refundable.
If you were represented by a court appointed attorney in your Municipal Court proceeding, please consult with that person prior to filing your appeal. The assigned counsel can help you file your appeal.

You may get an application at the Dumont Court Office or at New Jersey Courts Online:  (English) (Spanish)

Still have a question? Please call the Court Office at 201-387-5032/5033.

Where is Court Held?

Tenafly Municipal Builiding
100 Riveredge Road
Tenafly, NJ 07670