Message From Mayor LaBruno: Upgrading our Parks & Roads
Dumont Borough Parks and Roads have not been upgraded in decades. Upon taking office, I, along with our administration and Borough Council, pledged to invest in our parks and infrastructure. I write you today to provide information on upcoming projects and clarify any misinformation being shared regarding our plans.
Gina's Field Complex
($560,840 of various grants funds will be used towards this project)
After years of false starts, the Borough Council and I have worked diligently with our Recreation Committee and we are pleased to announce Gina's Field Complex Concept Plan which provides recreational use for all ages year-round. Not only does this plan provide a tremendous improvement for our youth, but it also gives our adult and senior community the access and opportunity to improve their health through physical fitness in an outdoor setting.
The plans include:
- Multi-purpose field to include Dumont's first field dedicated to 10U Soccer and Flag Football.
- Perimeter walkway/run path (similar to Memorial Park) with outdoor fitness stations
- Children's Splash Pad
- New playground equipment with rubberized safety surface (w/ ADA suitable equipment where applicable)
- Restroom/Changing Area
- Additional parking spaces
- Picnic grove, landscaping, and associated utility improvements.
For too long, our Girls Softball Program has not had the necessary recreational space they merit, our girls deserve better, and our administration is committed to moving this program forward. Before the change of plans and use of Gina's Field, Girls Softball President and Gina Spano's family were consulted with the Borough's commitment to making Twin Boro Field the New Home of Girls Softball.
Twin Boro Field
Upgrades to the field and complex will provide Girls Softball with a home comparable to Memorial Park utilized by Dumont Little League, access to bathrooms, and a convenience hut for fundraising opportunities. Upgrades include:
- New installed field to create a secondary field of play with new backstop and fencing
- Four new open-air Dugouts (Two per field)
- Rehab and preparation of existing field of play
- New Scoreboard
- New Shed dedicated to Girls Softball
Veteran's Memorial Park
(Phase 1 - $287,458 of grant funds will be utilized to fund this project - Phase 2 set for 2022)
Phase 2 - We will look to repair and improve our recreational facilities including upgrades to our walkway/running path.
- New Basketball Courts
- New Playground Equipment (Larger area)
Upgrades to our Roads
- Lafayette Ave
- E. Quackenbush Ave ($98,430 of grant funds will be utilized for this project)
- Grant Ave ($434,000 of various grant funds will be used to fund this project) (Howard St to W Church St - Providing an upgrade and safety guards along the roadway stretch of Grant School.)
Over 1.3 million dollars have been received to help fund these projects. Since day one, our administration has fought to claw back our State and County tax dollars to fund various projects, improvements, and equipment in the Borough. Our administration, Borough Council, and I will continue to find ways to offset taxpayers' costs as we continue to improve Dumont and move us forward.
Doing nothing is not an option as our parks and infrastructure continue to deteriorate. We refuse to continue to kick the can down the road. We will make the necessary improvements to continue to be one of the best towns in Northern Bergen County.